Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What did we decide?

After a long discussion, we came up with our next decision (no doubt not our last).

We are going to try for IVF next cycle. We will start out as IUI and hopefully (please!!), I can come up with a big litter of follicles (more than 10 good sized ones) and then we can convert to IVF. If the follicles are not up to the doc's standards, we will do an IUI again. I am going to take the maximum amount of gona.l f (450) each day. If I don't get a lot of follicles at that dosage, there's no hope for me.

Our thinking is that if we can get to egg retrieval, at least we will learn more about my gosh darn eggs. Maybe they are all bad. Maybe not. The doc said that in older women, often the shell of the egg is too hard for either the sperm to enter or for the embryo to hatch. With me, assuming we get that far, they will do assisted hatching. They will break the outer shell of the egg at day 5 and then put them in me. At that point, they should be ready to implant right away. This is exciting to talk about.

If the eggs are all bad, then we will make that egg donor decision and not keep doing IUI's, etc. If the eggs are good, maybe we'll be blessed with a pregnancy. Stranger things have happened. At least we'll be operating with a little more information.

I feel good with this plan because we'll get some information and there is an end to it. Not just endless IUI or IVF cycles.

How to prepare for this? Well, next week I have a sonohystogram on Wednesday and then right after, Chris, you'll be proud of me, I have my first acupuncture appointment. If I may only have one chance at this, then I'm going to do everything I can to improve my odds. Suggestions at to how to do this are welcome.

Decision made. For now. And it feels good.

4 comments:

Christy said...

Yes, I am so proud of you! Congrats on coming to some decisions as well. I'm willing to bet that you really like acupuncture. Your plan sounds great. We are toying with assisted hatching as well. That decision won't be made until the embryos are in the lab. In the meantime I have been prepped by taking the proper meds for it to work. I'm so excited for you!

Meghan said...

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I think that anytime you have a plan it makes you feel better. Makes you feel like at least you have some control over this crazy bu**shi*!

Thanks for all your support with all this crap I am going through right now. I so appreciate it!

~Carrie said...

This sounds like a great plan, especially with the good possibility you'll be able to get more information on your own eggs.

I have heard a lot of good things about acupuncture and will actually be starting that myself this cycle.